Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Single Shard

A Single Shard
By Linda Sue Park
Published by Yearling (2003)
Reading Level: Ages 9-12 years
Pages: 192
Genre: Historical Fiction

Summary: This story takes place in the twelfth century. Tree-ear is an orphan that was raised by a man with only one good leg named Crane-man in a pottery village called Ch'ulp'o. Tree-ear and Craneman barely survive with the little bit of food they get and they live under a bridge. Tree-ear wants to learn pottery and he watches a man named Min, a potter known for his skill, do his work. Tree-ear decides to go into his shop and accidentally breaks a piece. To pay Min back, Tree-ear work for him for nine days chopping wood, gathering clay, and preparing the clay. Tree-ear eventually becomes Min's apprentice and Min's wife feeds him and Crane-man and gives them clothes. A court representative is coming to the village and everyone is preparing for the visit. Tree-ear discovers one of the potters, Kang, is using a new technique, but can't tell because it would be dishonest. When the representative comes he likes the new technique, but is also impressed with Min's careful work. He tells Min if he can bring a piece to the King's court he will probably get a commission. Tree-ear volunteers to take the pots that use Kang's new technique to the court. He is ambushed on the way there and the pots are broken. He is only able to take a shard from one of the pots for the official to see, but the official is still impressed. He gives Min a commission and sent Tree-ear home with the news. When he gets home he learns the Crane-man is dead, but Min and his wife want to take him in and call him a family name. Min was impressed with a pottery monkey he found that Tree-ear had made and decides to teach him his trade.

My Reaction: This book completely surprised me in a good way. I had no idea that I would like this story or that I would be able to relate to it. I spent some time telling people how that native Americans do their pottery and I've done some myself so I was able to relate a little to the time and work involved. I also loved the ethical questions that Crane-man and Tree-ear talked about. I really like how all of them main characters changed in some way. I thought the book was great.

Potential Problems: Tree-ear is robbed.

Recommendations: I think I would recommend this to fifth graders on up. I think it would be a great story for boys because it shows values that I think young men could gain from reading with out them feeling preached at.

No comments:

Post a Comment