Thursday, March 31, 2011

Hello, Red Fox

Hello, Red Fox
By Eric Carle
Published by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (1998)
Reading Level: Baby-Preschool
Pages: 32
Genre: Picture Book

Summary: This book is based on Goethe wheel of primary and complimentary colors. Little frog is having a birthday. His mom asks who he wants to come. The guests start to arrive one by one. As each arrives mother frog is concerned that they are being called the wrong thing for example a green fox is called red fox. Little frog tells his mom to look longer, then the reader looks at the green colored fox for a long time then to look at the blank page opposite and we see a red fox in the blank spot. This happens with each of the guests that arrive. Then little frog is given a flower that looks green with red leaves. Mother frog tells little frog to look at it longer and it does look like a red flower with green leaves. Then everyone tells little frog happy birthday.

My Reaction: I thought Eric Carle's use of the color wheel was really cool. I have always loved optical illusions so I had fun reading this book. The story was cute as well.

Potential Problems: No

Recommendations: I would recommend this to kindergarten and first graders. I would also recommend this to people that love optical illusions as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment