Friday, March 18, 2011

The Jewish Kids' Hebrew-English Wordbook

The Jewish Kids’ Hebrew-English Wordbook

By Chaya M. Burnstein

Published by The Jewish Publication Society (1993)

Reading Level:

Pages: 39

Genre: Non-Fiction, Reference Book

Summary: This book teaches children Hebrew words. On most pages it has picture in the middle of the page and then on the border it labels things in the scene. The border has a small picture from the scene, the English word, the Hebrew word, and the Hebrew pronunciation. The scenes display thing like family, things around the house, school, stories from the Torah, and things around town. On every page you can find a monkey. It also teaches conversational words, numbers, holidays, days of the week, and seasons.

My Reaction: This book was the very first book I checked out with my own library card when I was eight years old. I enjoyed it then and now that I know a little Hebrew it is fun to see how far I have come. The words are fun and I like learning them.

Potential Problems: On one page it shows a picture of a man in a bathtub and on another is a picture of Adam and Eve, but none of the pictures show more than a bathing suit would.

Recommendations: I would recommend this to any child interested in languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment