Thursday, March 31, 2011

Night Creatures

Night Creatures (Scholastic First Discovery)
By Gallimard Jeunesse and Sylvaine Peyrols
Published by Scholastic Reference (2007)
Reading Level: Ages 4-8 years
Pages: 24
Genre: Nonfiction

Summary: This book talks about animals that come out at night, mainly owls and bats. Owls are silent when they fly. They have amazing vision and hearing. They can kill their prey instantly and swallow it without chewing. The fur, feathers, and bones of the animals are spit out in pellets. Owls mate for life and lay eggs on debris. Mother owls stay with the owlets until they open their eyes. Bats are the only flying mammals. They are covered in fur and most eat things like fruit. Most bats live in caves where they have nurseries to take care of the young and the mothers find their offspring through scent. There are many night time birds, the only one that can't fly is the kiwi.

My Reaction: I thought the book was interesting. I loved the clear pages with a different illustrations. I thought that was so cool. I also learned a lot from the book about these two night creatures. I never knew bats had nurseries, pretty neat.

Potential Problems: None

Recommendations: I would recommend this to first and second graders. I know I would have loved a book like this when I was that age.

No comments:

Post a Comment