Monday, February 14, 2011

A Wrinkle in Time

A Wrinkle in Time

By Madeleine L'Engle

Published by Bantam Doubleday Dell Books for Young Readers (1973)

Reading Level: Ages 9-12 years

Pages: 211

Genre: Science Fiction

Summary: Meg and Charles father went missing a while before. Three ladies, Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Which, and Mrs. Who, want them, and another boy named Calvin, to help them get him back and save a world from the darkness that took over. They tesser there, tesser means to fold time and space to get to distant places quickly, they find their father, but in the process Charles's mind is taken by the darkness and he is controlled by a giant brain called IT. Meg's father get her and Calvin out by tessering, before they can be taken over by the darkness and IT as well. Meg is frozen in the process and her heart is overcome a little by the darkness. She is nursed to health by strange creatures on a strange planet and she overcomes the darkness in her heart. She returns alone to the dark planet and because of her love, she is able to save Charles from the darkness and IT. They are all tessered home, where the whole family is reunited.

My Reaction: I remember that I loved this book when I was younger. I enjoyed it again reading it this time. IT fascinates me and I find L'Engle's use of science really interesting. I also really like the three old ladies.

Potential Problems: The darkness is scary, and the man in the dark world is a little scary too. IT can be frightening.

Recommendations: I would recommend it to girls around 12 years and up.

The Time Quartet:

  • A Wrinkle in Time
  • A Wind in the Door
  • A Swiftly Tilting Planet
  • Many Waters

No comments:

Post a Comment